Thursday, August 04, 2005

Doing Much Better Today

Well, apparently the two layers of sunscreen didn't let me down as badly as I thought - day two following Ozzfest and I'm doing much better. Still a little hoarse, still a hair sore, and the burn through my hair on the top of my head is a little rough, but still , can't complain.

As for a little more detail on Ozzfest... the bulk of the day was the second stage, with bands performing there from 9am - 4pm. We missed the first band entirely, primarily because I was an idiot and forgot to bring the tickets the first time leaving the house. Thankfully Mike asked before we headed into the parking lot. We did get there in time to see Wicked Wisdom, fronted by none other than Jada Pinkett-Smith. Yes, a metal band. Yes, she sings (kind of). She even threw in some growls. I have to give her credit for being up there in front of all those raving metal fans, but really, to be honest, it wasn't very good. The music was uninspired and her vocals were VERY limited. The real question is WHY?

I covered the major band highlights last time, but I didn't mention that the people watching was pretty entertaining in itself. There was a pretty wide selection of folks -- typical metal heads, younger hardcore kids, older biker-types, and a very surprising number of women, including lots of younger women and girls -- I guess the MTV2 hardcore bands pack in a good mix. Crowd-wise, there were your moshpits (though I only saw one bloody nose) - I managed to avoid those, though we did wind up on the edge of one at first. There was LOTS of crowd-surfing... of almost all types. There was lots of idiocy and smelly people, a good amount of women flashing their breasts (including a surprising number of folks who had their breasts painted at the body painting booth and went topless for the rest of the day/night), and of course, LOTS of drunk people. So much craziness... I wish I'd brought one of those disposable cameras and taken some pics, but it would've been just one more thing to lug around and keep track of all day...

Maiden definitely put on the best show of the day... if you enjoy heavy metal at all, do yourself a favor and try to catch an Iron Maiden live show before it's too late...


Some random links I've been looking at lately...
  • A couple interesting looking pages that I haven't done anything with yet, but could be neat diversions -- 43 Things and BookCrossing.
  • A fun but very simple turn-based zombie game, Urban Dead.