Monday, July 11, 2005

Tell Your Children!

Well, despite the fact that I didn't get much sleep last night, I find myself up too late again tonight. So why not spend some time in my blog-in-exile dropping the lowdown...

It was a hell of a weekend. Like Amy, I can't really remember what we did on Friday night (it must not've been anything worth shouting about, since neither of us can remember it). Saturday during the day I hung out at home while Amy fixed her bum tail-light at the shop, and Saturday night we went out to Restaurant Japan for sushi with the gang for Paul's birthday. That was a great, time -- it was funny seeing all the pregnancy issues that Carrie's body is already putting her through. All that fun this early on, she's bound to have a fun one. (Or something like that...)

Sunday we went to see Fantastic Four with my parents. I had heard some not-so-great things about it, and even from the previews I wasn't expecting anything Earth-shattering. I think my expectations were set suitably low, because it wound up being not as bad as I was expecting. Moderately entertaining, but definitely not as good as the Spider Man movies, X-Men movies, the new Batman, etc. There was a lot of potential there that got crapped away into the Abercrombie & Fitch pop-culture bullshit.

Sunday I also finally got to see the musical version of Reefer Madness that my dad had DVR'd for me off Showtime awhile back. I'd first heard about it a long time ago, and just from what I'd heard I knew it was going to be a good one - they had turned the old cult propaganda film into a stage musical comedy. It stars, among others, Alan Cumming, Neve Cambell, Steven Weber... and it's hysterical. I definitely recommend checking it out. I had never actually seen the full original propaganda film before, but thankfully it's old enough (and just one of those "unsure of" films) that it's actually out on the web for (apparently) legal viewing -- check out the National Lampoon site for a streaming version of it. There was also some other "hemp supporters" web page which streamed it, though the National Lampoon version worked fine for me, and DID NOT require RealPlayer, which was one less corruption subjected upon my laptop. But seriously, the movie was a riot, check it out if you get a chance. It's supposed to be coming out on DVD in October, and I think I'll try to pick it up. It'll fit in well with other classics in my collection such as UHF, The Wall, and Rock 'n' Roll High School Forever. And of course, Hedwig...

Well, I suppose I should try and get some sleep. Busy week this week. Homeowner's association meeting on Wednesday, Shadowbox Best Of on Thursday, going to Newport this weekend... fun fun fun.